What is a MIAM?

What is a MIAM and why might you need one? You can normally book a Zoom MIAM meeting with us within 48 hours of your enquiry.

The first meeting with a mediator is often called a Mediation Information & Assessment Meeting or MIAM. Whether it’s called a MIAM or a first meeting, it will cover the same things.

Our MIAM’s will last about 45 minutes. It will give you an opportunity to tell us about your situation, and the issues that need to be decided. We will tell you about the mediation process and other options for reaching agreements. This is a private and confidential meeting.

At the end of the meeting, we will tell you whether your case is suitable for mediation, and you can decide whether you want to proceed with mediation or explore another option for resolving issues. We can also give you information about other services which provide help and support.

If you agree, we might also refer you to other organisations who can help you, such as those who can offer counselling, debt advice, or information about how to parent co-operatively after separation, where these are relevant.

If you have children who are over the age of 10, we will discuss with you their rights to have their views taken into account. This is an important part of the process designed to support the health and well-being of the children as well as to help parents come to good workable decisions. Research shows this part of the process brings real benefits to your children and to parents as they make decisions for the family.

How Much Does it cost?

We charge £125 for our MIAM’s. There is no VAT to pay.

What happens after the MIAM?

Everyone considering mediation must have a MIAM before mediation meetings to discuss and resolve the issues can start. This is to ensure that everyone is suitable to enter the mediation process and so that each person has the opportunity to privately tell us what they see the issues are. If everyone agrees to try mediation, then a first meeting will be arranged and an agenda will be prepared for that meeting so everyone knows what is going to be discussed.

If you decide to make an application to court to resolve an issue discussed at the MIAM, then you can ask us to sign the court form, as long as you attended the MIAM within the last four months.

Do I have to attend a MIAM?

If you want to take your case to court then, in most cases, you will have to attend a MIAM before making an application. Your court form will have to be lodged with the court within 4 months of your MIAM meeting. There are only a few specific circumstances where this requirement does not apply (mainly involving domestic abuse and urgent situations involving children). This is because court action should be used as a last resort when alternative ways of resolving things haven’t worked.

Going to a MIAM isn’t the same as going to Mediation. A MIAM will help you understand the options available to sort out the issues that need to be resolved, and to choose the best option.

Who can sign court forms to say I have been to a MIAM?

Only accredited mediators can sign a court form to say you have been toa MIAM. We are accredited so we can help you with these forms and we will normally be able to arrange to see you within 48 hours of your first contact with us. Most of our MIAM meetings can be done via Zoom. We can offer meetings from 8am until 8pm, Monday to Friday.

We have an online booking system which makes booking to see us as hassle free as possible- go to the Book Now button on our website or call us on 0800 2062258.

Other Blog Posts

Book Review - Feel The Fear And Do It Anyway - How to Turn Your Fear and Indecision into Confidence and Action – by Susan Jeffers

I have recommended this book to many people over the years and I have always received good feedback.


Top 10 tips for mediating online

Mediating by video technology has advantages- read our top tips!


Meet Claire and Rachael

Claire Colbert and Rachael Oakes of Family Mediation and Mentoring LLP


The 10 different ways you can resolve parenting, property or financial issues on separation and divorce.

There are many ways to resolve family disputes - you don't have to go to court


Christmas Co-Parenting

Christmas can be stressful for separated families. Mediation can help.


Book Review - The Deepest Well by Dr Nadine Burke Harris – Trauma in children

Adverse Childhood Experiences impact a child's physical and emotional health. This book explores the link and issues.

View all Blogs